Sunday, December 30, 2007

Firenze 2

Another day of Culture... I fought my way through the crowds in the Uffizi - although I couldn't help but noticing once past the Botticelli room things speeded up - I think everyone gets gallery fatigue by then!
Art on the pavement

Then across the Ponte Vecchio and a stroll round Santo Spirito and San Frediano. Would have liked to see the churches there but it was the siesta time so everything was closed.

A winter afternoon at a fountain

Across the Arno

Back across the river to the Franciscan church, Santa Croce. The Bardi Chapel with its Giotto Franciscan frescoes and Franciscan dossal was one of the main reasons I came to Florence so it was good to see them without too many crowds in the way.

Santa Croce

Inside - the Bardi Chapel is just to the right of the scaffolding - you can also see the Stigmata fresco above the chapel arch.

What I came to see - the Franciscan dossal

San Bernardino - in the Santa Croce Museum

After that, too cultured out for any more, I wandered back through the streets to the hotel. Around 5 to 6pm is a good time to wander into the churches - except that it is usually too dark to see much in them. The Oratorians' Chiesa de San Firenze was open - although I really thought it was an official office building first. Then a wonderful surprise to find the church used by the Monastic Community of Jerusalem where a number of people had gathered for silent prayer and vespers.

After all that - time for a meal at McDonalds and back to this hotel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seems a bit unfair that no one has made a comment before this.

I came looking for the trooly rooly,
fair dinkum, proper "Friar's Balsam" and got you instead.

Bit bemused by all of this! Are'nt you supposed to take a vow of poverty? Not a bad life you've got going for yourself - all that travel and free meals as well. Not that I begrudge you your perks - I would not like to have your life - can't stand sandals.

Is it your lot that makes the alcholic drinks? If it is - bless you. If not - repent!

Nice to meet you. Bye.