Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Firenze / Wien / Praha

My last day in Florence was more restful. In the morning attended a mass in the Duomo. Started off by sitting in a good Anglican seat - second from the back - but we were called up to fill in the seats higher up. Landed up in the front row just a few metres from the high altar. Then more sightseeing - the Duomo museum and the Baptistery. Back to the hotel to rest. Vespers in
the Duomo - sung by their ancient canons - assisted by a small choir. Back to the hotel to pack.

Some last images from Florence

From my seat in the Duomo

Votive candles

The mosaic ceiling of the Baptistery



Statues in the Duomo museum

Florence fashion

Early morning to the airport by taxi - too early for the bus. Was ripped off by the taxi driver - the fare on the meter came to 31.50. I paid him with four ten euro notes because I only had about 75 cents in coins. He put the notes in with his pile of other notes. And then asked for the 1.50. I showed him my 75 cents. He took it and said thank you - and gave me no change. He
said I had only given him three ten-euro notes - and not four. He pulled out three notes from his pile and said that was what I had given him. It was impossible to prove anything. I guess it's one of their oldest tricks!

Arrived at the airport much earlier than I needed to be. But just as well since there was a problem with my luggage. It was 6 kg overweight. But no problem they said - just carry an extra bag with you as cabin luggage. Frantic rearrangement at the check in counter to remove my shampoo and other items which might be used to make a bomb and transfer them to my main bag. Then - while queuing for security I suddenly realise I'm still carrying in that bag my Swiss army knife. Obviously I am a terrorist! Back to the check in counter. Nothing else is possible but to check in my other bag. It's overweight but they don't charge.

You know you're travelling on Austrian Airlines because they play Strauss waltzes before takeoff.

Arrived in Prague and was met by my Capuchin friend, Serafin, and taken back to the 16th century friary where he lives - just above the old castle.

Have been walking round, sightseeing, fighting off the cold. Mass this morning in the cathedral. And more sightseeing to come this afternoon.

The old castle - the cluster of buildings around the cathedral

By night from across the river

St Vitus Cathedral, Prague

Crucifix on the Charles Bridge

With my friend Br Serafin outside his friary

No comments: