Monday, October 30, 2006

Being a mature student

"Isn't it strange being a student at your age?" one of my former students in Korea asked me recently. At my age! Indeed.

Student life is certainly different for me this time round. But it's different for undergraduates as well. We went to classes, memorised enough to pass end of year exams, met for drinking and discussion, sometimes for discussion and drinking and occasionally just for drinking. We protested against the Vietnam War and NZ's involvement in supporting aprtheid in South Africa. And so on.

These days I go to classes, and then read and think, sometimes just read, try to write essays, and then spend far too much time on e-mails and blogging and wandering round in cyberspace.

Seriously though. I believe everyone should have some opportunity every ten years or so to take time out from their regular duties for some study on whatever they are passionate about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Br Chris

I've just caught up with your blog. Very impressive. Being a student the second time around, in very different circumstances, sounds very rewarding.

Go for it!

Anonymous said...

hi~^^

Anonymous said...

Hi, Br Chris,

Your posting recalls my university time, and I am still a student in different situation and context as you mentioned. But I feel I am in little bit different days from yours. Given prototocol in the program sometimes press my mind like a burden. Sometimes I want to be liberated from this all. I confess, however, I am quite enjoying to be a muture student like you.

peace,

Joseph +

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
I am enjoying your blog. Glad that your enjoying the whole mature student experience.
John