Monday, March 12, 2007

awakening the dawn

7My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast.
I will sing and make melody.
8 Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn.
9I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
10For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens;
your faithfulness extends to the clouds. (from Psalm 57)

This week one of my duties at the hermitage is ringing the Angelus bell at dawn, midday and evening. I walk across in the darkness to the bell, pull the rope, 3, pause, 3, pause, 3, pause, 9. "The angel of the Lord brought tidings to Mary..." and calling to prayer not only the brothers, but a good part of the natural world around. Birds screech back at the bell. Cattle call out. "I will awaken the dawn."

No comments: