I should be seriously writing an essay this week. But I am not.
Ten ways to avoid writing essays
(1) Clean room
(2) Cut finger nails
(3) Clean room again because of finger nails on floor
(4) Surf the internet vaguely and call it research
(5) Read lots of slightly related books - it is also research
(6) Tell others the bits of 13th century liturgical triva learnt in (5)
(7) Go for a walk to clear the mind after the hard work
(8) Have a nap
(9) Decide that tomorrow will definitely be a much better day for it
(10) Write a blog entry about not writing essays
Monday, November 06, 2006
A few days ago I visited NZ friends in the seaside town of Brighton. It's is a fascinating place with many reminders of the days when it was the place to be seen. King George IV had his Pavilion there. A simple seaside cottage with an Indian style exterior and Chinese interior as one needs to entertain the odd guests who would drop in during the summer season. Brighton Pier is also a grand survivor - recently restored - from the great days of seaside excursions.
There was a sunset straight out of the movies. A full moon rising in the dark blue sky opposite. Jet trails in the sky and the twinkling lights of the pier.